The healthy benefits of deep breathing to supercharge your body and mind. Here are 9 ways concentrating on your breath work can change your life.
1. Energy - oxygen is the most essential natural resource required by our cells. We can go without food for up to 40 days, water 3 days, yet we die after a few minutes not breathing.
2. Respiratory - deep breathing helps to release tension in the diaphragm. It opens the chest releasing any tightness in the intercostal muscles (these muscles interweave their way around your ribs).
3. Parasympathetic Nervous System - deep breathing helps bring a relaxed state. It functions in the opposite way to the sympathetic nervous system which is associated with flight or fight response.
4. Lymphatic System - deep breathing helps to protect the body from bacteria and viruses through muscle movement and cleansing flow.
5. Muscle Tension - our breath becomes shallow when we are angry or in pain. We usually tense the shoulders, slouch, frown, get back pain and feel miserable. All we need to do is breathe!
6. Cardiovascular System - expanding the diaphragm and belly increases the circulation to the heart, liver, brain and reproductive organs.
7. Digestive System - good breath work is essential for intestinal action and good bowel movement. If you want a good poo, get belly breathing and twisting!
8. Our Minds - good quality breath work relaxes the mind and encourages us to learn, focus, concentrate and memorize.
9. Looking Young - breathing deeply slows the aging process by increasing anti-aging hormones!
Simple Daily Breathing Exercise
Sit in a chair
Feet flat on the floor
Palms facing down on thighs
Bring shoulder blades back
Tilt chin to chest slightly so neck is long
Inhale through the nose for a count of 3
(to understand this count, silently chant "I am breathing in")
Exhale through the nose for a count of 3 ("I am breathing out")
Repeat this simple process for as many counts as you wish.
Notice how you feel.
If you haven't yet joined our Caterpillar Library do so HERE. A collection of free advice via video, downloads, audio and more on all things holistic. Thank you for reading, Namaste, Suzanne